They are both from Lithuania, they are both seven feet tall and if you say their names quickly enough, they might sound the same to the un-Lithuanized ear; but if you run your finger along an NBA mock draft, you might not find two players with more contrasting styles than Jonas Valanciunas and Donatas Motiejunas.
Donatas is hot white sand, Jonas is gravel. Donatas is a latte, Jonas is leftover coffee grounds at the bottom of your mug. Donatas is Fun Dip, Jonas is a Warhead. Luckily, ELA brought on a real, live Lithuanian all the way from Vilnius to help us iron out the kinks and answer some of your questions: Simas Baranauskas of Lithuania Basketball. He should have a pretty good handle on Jonas, at the very least. After all, he has been swatted and posterized by JV (see below).
Simas and I get into the following:
- Find out which team is the best fit for Jonas and the worst fit for Donatas. Hint: it’s the same team.
- Would Jonas and Kyrie Irving be enough to make Cleveland a contender?
- Is Donatas too stuck in his ways? Will he ever up his work ethic?
- Which player has the better odds to make an All-Star team? Score more NBA points?
- Who will have a bigger impact this summer in Eurobasket?